Quick Tips from a Pro: Acne Care and Prevention
That sporadic pimple, an occasional breakout, or chronic acne – do you struggle with any of these acne issues? Acne can occur at all ages and stages of life. At Dermatology Associates and Surgery Center, our team of skin care professionals see patients with acne concerns from the early teens up to people in their late seventies.
We asked one of our skin care professionals, Tommy Dooley II, PA-C, SDPA Diplomate Fellow, to share easy care for helping clear up acne:
Less is more! A daily skin care routine should be kept simple, as too many products can cause irritation to the face and potentially worsen acne.
Quick tips for acne care and prevention
Wash your face twice a day:
- I recommend a gentle cleanser that is close to the same pH as your skin.
- If you are involved with physical activities or sports, I advise washing your face nightly, even if it is with only water.
- Avoid topical products that contain alcohol or any product that may cause dry skin.
- When washing your face, use your fingertips to gently wash.
- Scrubbing could worsen existing acne and cause darkening of previous skin damage.
- This is a hard one! Do not pop or pick, doing so can cause scarring and possible infection.
- The use of a daily oil-free sunscreen (SPF 30 or greater) will help avoid hyperpigmentation.
- Hyperpigmentation, or darkening of acne lesions, can last several months when present.
- When choosing a makeup or facial moisturizer, I always recommend that they should be non-comedogenic
See a Medical Provider who works in Dermatology:
- Talk with your dermatologist to create a personal acne treatment plan. Being evaluated will also help to identify any contributing factors that may need to be addressed.
- Treat your acne early to prevent worsened skin conditions.
- Create a skincare maintenance plan with your dermatologist to keep your skin clear.
- Give any acne treatment plan time. When you start a new skin care product it can take a few weeks to begin working.
Early acne prevention and treatment is important to keep and maintain clear skin. If you struggle with acne, it is important to consult a skin care professional to provide you with the best treatment plan for you and your skin. Don’t wait for your acne to worsen or until that important event is right around the corner.
Dermatology Associates and Surgery Center makes scheduling your appointment easy.